Friday, July 18, 2008

What a day yesterday was!

We started off the day great yesterday. Swimming lessons and a picnic in the park with friends. I packed the food and we were off.
I got everything set up and gave the kids their lunches. Alyssa a peanut butter sandwich and Van a peanut butter sandwich too. Well it was Van's first peanut butter sandwich.
I had this feeling that something was going to go wrong. So I watched him while he ate. It only took 2 minutes before the started to rub at his nose. And then his ear. I started to notice his nostril swelling and his cheeks turning red. I then examined the rest of him and found hives on his arm!
I got everything packed up in record time. My friend was kind enough to take Alyssa to her house, so I could take Van to the hospital.
On the way to the hospital, I kept telling Van to drink some water because his lips started to swell. I was hoping that that would help keep his airway open. (But I didn't know if that would work or not.) We got there and they immediately took us back and started an IV on him and gave him some Benadryl. About 10 minutes later he got sick all over me and him.
Matt arrive 15 minutes after he got sick. Once Matt held him, he instantly fell asleep. It didn't take much because of the Benadryl and it was also nap time. So I decide to go home and get out of the puke clothes and take a shower.
I was only gone 30 minutes. When I arrived back at the hospital, Van was crying and there were two nurses in the room trying to give him a breathing treatment. Seeing that my son was having trouble breathing, I just broke down crying. I couldn't help it. I know that I needed to put a strong and happy face on for him. Matt said that he woke up having trouble breathing. After the treatment they gave him some steroids. He'll be on those for the next few days along with Benadryl for the next two days. We're following up with the pediatrician next week and he'll refer us to a pediatric allergist.
Well, last night I got on the Internet and ordered him a Medic Alert Bracelet. I got it from Sophies Closet. Here is what it will kind of look like. She will be adding the Medic Alert charm to it so it will catch a person's eye.


Well hopefully I can get out of the panic mode. I think I will feel a little calmer when we see the pediatrician next week. I'm hoping that he can give us some guidance and some good resources.

Anyone that is reading this and has a child with a peanut allergy, please leave a comment. I would love to hear what you have to say.

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena